Read more about what to do in Amsterdam
There are so many things to do in Amsterdam, where shall we even start? Avoid the most popular streets and squares and you will experience a whole other Amsterdam. Whether you are visiting this city for the weekend or for a week, here you can find what to do in Amsterdam. First of all, try to get your hands on a n I Amsterdam City Card. This card comes in very handy as it gives you free entry to dozens of attractions and museums. It even gives you free entrance to the public transportation.
The top things to do in Amsterdam
It might be hard to make a good selection of things to do in Amsterdam when you are visiting this city for a few days. To make it easier for you, here is a list that shows the best attractions and things to do.
- Rijksmuseum: The Rijksmuseum is a Dutch national history and art museum. It shows the works of Dutch heroes like Rembrandt, Vermeer and Van Gogh, but also 7500 other masterpieces. It is the most popular and best visited museum of the Netherlands. If you are planning to visit this museum, it is recommended to purchase an e-ticket since the museum can be quite busy. Come before 10 am or after 3 pm to avoid the biggest crowd.
Visit the Anne Frank House: This is the house where Anne Frank and her family were hiding during World War II. Nowadays it is a historical museum that shows Anne’s life, how they were hiding from the Germans, the secret annex and they also show an exhibition on discrimination of the Jewish people. The Anne Frank House is among the best excursions in Amsterdam and attracts more than one million visitors a year.
- Take a canal cruise: Do you want to learn a lot of fascinating facts about Amsterdam while you are floating through the canals? Then take a canal cruise and sit back and enjoy the picture-postcard vision of this beautiful city. There are multiple canal cruises to choose from, from typical sightseeing tours to candlelight dinner night cruises.
- Discover Amsterdam’s Vondelpark: This park is the heart of Amsterdam. On a sunny day you can find the locals sitting here with their disposable barbeque and enjoying the sun. Sometimes in summer there are even live concerts.
- Discover Amsterdam’s Nine Streets: Many visitors mainly shop in the crowded Kalverstraat, but some have discovered the Nine Streets. These streets connect the main canals between Raadhuisstraad and Leidsegracht. In this area you can find more than 200 retailers who sell all kinds of retail.
- Rent a bike: In Amsterdam you wil see a lot of people on a bike. Do you fancy some sports? Rent a bike and explore the city streets of Amsterdam. There are plenty of cycle routes. If you are not into sports, don’t worry. The Netherlands its landscape is quite flat.
Do you want to enjoy the nightlife but you don’t know where to go out in Amsterdam?
Amsterdam is home to a lot of nightlife establishments. If you are only here for the weekend, you might be questioning yourself where to go out in Amsterdam. In this city you can party until the break of dawn, but don’t go overboard. Here is list of some of best places to party:
- Chicago Social Club
- NDSM Docklands